Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ready, Set, Ghana

I booked my airline tickets about a month ago and today I finalised my balance payment.

It is official!

I am going to Accra, Ghana, Takoradi more specifically, in September. I am so excited I can barely contain myself!

I am going to be working with Work the World - a UK based company that provides medical, dental, nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy electives and placements in Africa, Asia and South America.

In the UK, unlike the US, nursing students and midwifery students do electives abroad during their training and some even do gap year placements. My university had nothing on offer for a study abroad program, so I have decided to create my own experience via Work the World, a company I had heard about from other midwives and nurses when I worked at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.

As I have never been to anywhere in Africa, I was not sure where to go, but chose Ghana as it is a placement that allows for direct and highly involved care. There are 3 other locations in Africa - Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Arusha, Tanzania, but for some reason Takoradi, Ghana spoke to me. The testimonials from other midwives in Ghana are quite inspiring as well and are what helped confirm my choice.

I am quite excited to go... a bit nervous, as always when I travel to a new country and do not know what to expect, but more agog and breathless than anything. I feel assured that Work the World will take good care of me and provide an easy and engaging experience. The process thus far as been worry-free. Work the World provides a 'My Trip' webpage for each candidate and it has easy hyperlinks to click through to learn everything possible about your upcoming trip along with what to do and when. My last 'to-do' is to secure my visa and pick up my malaria tabs.

Easy peasy.



No comments:

Post a Comment