Saturday, November 5, 2011


Friday I had another US and more blood work (having every other day appointments now) and it looks like my follicles are maturing faster than expected.  My RE said we are on track for retrieving 8-12 eggs, but she is not sure if they will all be mature enough.  I am going to have a follow up US and blood work done on Sunday. If the follicles are plentiful and the sizes are good (indicating proper maturity), then I will have my egg retrieval on Tuesday.  My RE says it is a fine balance between retrieving prior to ovulation and ensuring maximum number of follicles possible and that the eggs are mature.

My estrogen is also doubling and increasing nicely.  So far, so good!

I've stayed at 375 IU for Gonal-F each p.m., 1 vial of Menopur each p.m., and 10 units of Lupron BID (twice daily).  Sadly, no decreases in the Gonal-F for me.  This means that I have gone through 3 pens of Gonal-F, and had no more pens after last night.  We never knew the meds would be so incredibly expensive, and when we drained our savings for our 4 rounds of IVF (2 fresh and 2 frozen with Attain), we had no money left.  When the pharmacy called and said our meds would be $3500 and that our insurance would not cover it, I almost had a heart attack.  Literally, I ended up in the ER with PVCs (pre-ventricular contractions).  We ended up having to take a personal loan to pay for our medications.  Our insurance only covered the progesterone and Lupron, so the $3500 was for the Gonal-F ($900 a pen x 3) and Menopur ($80 a vial x 10) alone.  With the RE office not ordering enough pens for me in the beginning (since they are so expensive, they are cautious not to order too many), I was in a panic when I realised I would run out of the Gonal-F on Friday with no way to buy another pen at $900 a pop.  Thankfully my doctor's office donated a pen to me.  Wow - what a blessing and such a relief!  One less thing to worry about.

On the midwifery front, I have made progress in my clincals as well.  I caught another sweet baby boy yesterday increasing my count to 12.  (This count is only my US births and does not count the babies I caught in Ghana.)  My program only requires 20(!) births, which I think is far too low to call myself experienced/ready to practise on my own, so I am setting a goal for myself of at least 60.  I would ultimately like to make it to 100 (they say you feel comfortable with births after your 100th catch), but anywhere between 60 and 100 would be sublime for me.  I also sutured my first patient yesterday with bilateral labial lacs, and a wonderful MD taught me how to tie one handed with my left hand (non-dominant hand).  Now, I can hold my instrument in my right hand and tie with my left without ever having to switch hands or put down the needle.  Woo hoo!  So exciting!

I needed a day like yesterday.  It was such a moral booster.  I made wonderful progress in both my IVF course and my studies this past week.  Excited to see what this next week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment